Friday, January 8, 2010

Shadow of The Dragons (SoTD): Chapter 1

A Changed World

“Theta! Run!” yelled a voice from across the street. Theta, a young man of twenty or so years turned around to see a truck sized bug made of pure light. “Light Crawler.” he whispered stunned.


“Run!” yelled the voice again.


Theta turned quickly and began to run through the streets of this destroyed city. The giant bug chased after him crushing the remnants of cars and buildings along its way. Theta looked over and saw his friend, James waving him over.


Theta ran behind a building and then around the other side, trying to lose the Light Crawler. He made it to James quickly however the Light Crawler was still in pursuit.


“Are you trying to get us killed?” James scolded as the two ran through the abandoned city.


“You are the one who said nobody would be able to find us here.” Theta responded.


“Well my ancestors used to live here. It used to be the safest place on Loreon.”


“Clearly not anymore.” Theta said as they ran into a large building and down some stairs. They looked up and watched the Light Crawler pass them.


“Look what EbilCorp has done to this place...” James commented.


“All this in the last one hundred years. I wish the DragonGuard were still around to protect us.”


“My great grandfather used to work with the DragonGuard...he used to be Admiral of the SDF.”


“Does anyone even remember what happened?” Theta asked.


“Not really. I asked my family before they were taken away...and they couldn’t give exact details. They only said that we were in a war...between the Arthurian Empire and EbilCorp.”


“I wish there was something in my life that wasn’t a mystery...” Theta said.


“Still mad that you haven’t regained your memory yet?”


“Yeah.” Theta said wishing he could remember.


“Well I did find you unconscious. You really can’t remember how that happened?”


“Nope.” Theta said. “But I’m glad that even in these times there are kind strangers...who knows what would have happened to me if you didn’t pull me out of there.”


“As I’ve said before you are welcome.”


“What was your last name again?” Theta asked.


“Starbuck. James Starbuck.”


“So Mr. Starbuck...where do we go next? Should we stay in this basement? It doesn’t look like the Light Crawlers will be able to get us down here...”


“We still need to find food and water.”


Theta looked at a destroyed sign next to him. “I think we are in luck. This is a fallout shelter.”


James and Theta turned around and moved through the dark passages of the building. Eventually they reached a large metallic hatch. James struggled to open it, but Theta turned the valve easily.


They then descended into it and found themselves in a large empty room filled with crates, beds, and other materials. Theta and James opened the crates and found various meals and snacks.


They both chose what they wanted and ate. Theta ate normally, but James shoved the food into his mouth. James hadn’t eaten in days. Theta had time to think about this place.


“Don’t you find this a bit odd?”


“What?” James asked.


“This gigantic shelter. There isn’t anyone here...nothing has been opened...surely someone would have known it existed.”


“So what are you trying to say? The food isn’t safe?”


“Not that. It seems like people..avoided this place. Not a single item here looked used.”


“Not surprising.” said a voice from the darkness. James and Theta both jumped to their feet and prepared to defend themselves.


“Who is there?!” Starbuck asked.”


“I could ask you the same.” a man said stepping forward from the shadows. “And neither of you have a weapon...so you are in no place to be making demands.” the stranger said holding an energy blade.


“Wait...” James said. He looked at Theta and then at the stranger. “You look, exactly like each other. Do you know him?”


Theta was taken aback by this. “Not that I can remember...”


“Oh right! The amnesia...what about you? Do you know him?”


“No. In fact...I am not even sure who I am exactly.”


“You have amnesia too?” James asked suspiciously.


“You could say that. However I have been here for a very long time. My memory hasn’t returned in ninety years.”


“Ninety years?” James said. He began to think this man was insane.


“Yes. I have been here for that long. People used to come down here but they ran away whenever they saw me.”


It was then that James noticed it. There was a slight blue aura around this man. “Listen, I don’t know who you are but...”


“Be nice.” Theta said. “I feel like we can trust him. Sir, how can you have been down here for ninety years and not used any of these supplies?”


“I do not eat. At least I think I don’t....I haven’t eaten once, and I have been okay.”


“What next? Do you not sleep?” James asked with a chuckle.


“No I don’t. Well I don’t need to...but I do when I get bored. Sometimes I sleep for years.”


“This guy is nuts.” James said to Theta. “Put the weapon on the ground and move forward!”


The man cooperated and stepped forward. James looked at him. This was impossible, he looked exactly like Theta. They were even wearing the same clothes! Then he noticed the name tag. One just like Theta’s.


James stepped forward and read the name aloud. “Omicron.”


No comments:

Post a Comment